Looking to give your metabolism a little extra boost to supplement your fitness goals? All day long, your body’s cells are working to breakdown the food you eat to convert it into the energy you require to power through your workouts. Increasing your metabolism translates to burning more calories throughout the day, contributing to weight loss. Although genetics play a large part in determining the speed of your metabolism, there are things you can add to your daily routine to speed up that slow metabolism that may have been passed down to you by your parents. With a little help from the tips below, your metabolism will be revving away in no time.
1. Build some muscle. As metabolism naturally slows down in an aging body, research has proven that incorporating 2-3 strength training sessions per week into your workout routine will reverse the metabolic decline by up to 50%!
2. Kick up the intensity of your workouts. High intensity interval training allows you to exercise for less time, but still reap the same results. After a HIIT workout, the body burns an increase of calories for up to 24 hours.
3. Make sure you eat enough. The unfortunate reality of crash dieting leaves dieters cutting too many calories, leaving their metabolism in panic mode. Eating too few calories forces the body’s metabolism to store fat as a way to conserve energy. Create healthy habits, not restrictions.
4. Eat at the right times. Eating within half an hour of waking up in the morning revs up your metabolic engine. Make sure breakfast is a part of your daily routine. Every. Single. Day. Continuing to snack every few hours throughout the day steadies blood sugar levels to prevent insulin spikes that promote weight gain.
5. Protein is your friend. Your body digests protein slower than fats and carbs. This means the body has to work harder by expending more energy (calories) to absorb the nutrients that are present in protein.
6. Fill up that water bottle. Research shows that those that drink 8 to 12 glasses of water a day have higher metabolisms than those that drink only 4. Water is an essential component to healthy living. Try adding a slice of lemon to your next glass. Lemon water will aid in detoxing your liver, allowing your metabolism to run more efficiently.
If you’re looking to give your metabolism an even bigger boost, try one of our Metabolic Conditioning Classes that will challenge every part of your body and leave your metabolism running in high gear. Do something today that your future self will thank you for. It won’t be easy, but it will be absolutely worth it.